Extraordinary Ministers of Communion serve the Eucharistic life of the community by assisting the Ordinary Ministers of the Eucharist during the Rite of Communion. They are acknowledged by the bishop at the request of the Pastor to assist the celebrant and other Ordinary Ministers during the liturgy in sharing the Eucharistic body and blood of Christ. They are commissioned by the Pastor or his delegate. The commissioning should take place in the presence of the community during mass.
- During the Rite of Communion, helps the Ordinary Ministers of Communion share the Eucharist.
- Participates in the mass from beginning to end.
- Enters the Sanctuary during the Rite of Communion.
- Receives the Ciboria from the Ordinary Minister of Communion.
- Attempts to make eye contact by holding the host or cup at a level that allows the Minister to look just above or around it. Saying only “The body (blood) of Christ.”
- For those wishing to receive only a blessing, this is done by holding a hand over their head and saying “May God bless you” or “Receive the Lord in your heart”, at the discretion of the Pastor.
- Responds to special circumstances that may arise during the Liturgy.
- Performs special tasks with dignity and otherwise participates fully as an exemplary member of the assembly modeling good liturgical participation.
- Is faithful to the schedule and arrives on time for the Liturgy as arranged by the Ministry Coordinator.
- Is responsible for finding a replacement in the event of short notice cancellation and advising the Ministry Coordinator.
- Is helpful in assuring that all the parish community’s liturgical assemblies are adequately served with this ministry.
- Participates in rehearsals of liturgical procedures in the parish community and follows liturgical norms for this ministry as guided by the G.I.R.M. and the decision of the Pastor.
- Be available to clean the vessels as required, after the liturgy.
At St Philip Neri parish, you can volunteer as a Eucharist Minister at a Mass o as a Eucharistic Minister for the sick
The Activities/Responsibilities listed above may not completely reflect the ministry performed at this parish at all times. Please refer to the “Specific instructions of the presiding priest or Pastor.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Is a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church in full communion with the Church.
- Must be at least 16 years of age and who has been duly prepared for this role.
- Is recognized within the parish community as a person of good reputation and love for the Eucharist. Participates fully as a member of the liturgical assembly.
- Has participated in a training process that reflects on the mystery of the Eucharist, theology of Liturgy, and the specific duties of this ministry.
Personal Traits and Qualities
- Desires to serve the community and to commit time and talents to this ministry.
- Exercises the ministry in a manner which fosters to the prayer and participation of the assembly, and ensures the smooth celebration of the Rite of Communion.
- Is committed to prayer, gospel values, and growth in personal holiness.
- Is at ease with one-to-one social encounters, and can look people in the eye.
- Understands the sacredness of the Eucharistic encounter, giving this moment the time and presence it deserves.
- Is willing to develop skills of gracious movement and a consciousness of body language.
- Is enthusiastic and has good relational skills.
Orientation and Training
- Standard parish orientation program and commissioning provided by the Pastor. Training provided by experienced Extraordinary or Ordinary Ministers of Communion, or the Office of Formation for Discipleship.
- The assembly.
Support, Supervision, and Evaluation
- The Extraordinary Minister of Communion Coordinator is the first level of support, supervision and evaluation. The parish priest and/or his delegate(s) also exercise this role.
Length of Ministry Appointment
- Three years commissioned term.
Benefits and Working Conditions
- Will directly impact the liturgical experience at the parish. Will enhance personal spiritual growth. This is a volunteer position requiring a time commitment of hours per week/hours per month.
Must be able to attend the orientation session and training sessions as required.
To volunteer, submit your registration by clicking on the